Supporting employee mental health in your practice
The ongoing health and economic threat of COVID-19 has had a significant impact on employee wellbeing.
As a practice manager, it’s important to think about how to support your most important asset – your staff - particularly those struggling with stress and other emotions.
Research shows that mentally healthy workers are more productive and present, so here are some simple things you can do to support your employees:
- Maintain regular catchups and communication with your team.
- Keep staff up to date about your business’ response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Make sure your staff are aware of the support that is available to them (for example, if you have an Employee Assistance Program in place).
- Look out for signs of struggle.
- Keep an eye on your own mental health.
As a manager or practice owner, it’s easy to get distracted by meeting the needs of those around you while forgetting about your own, but it’s important to take the time to check in with your own feelings and make sure you’re still on track.
Sharing your experiences with your team can also be beneficial – acknowledging the difficulties you are experiencing can help staff feel more comfortable speaking to you about their difficulties.
If you need extra support, remember to use the channels available to you both in and beyond your workplace.
If you would like to discuss supporting your employee's wellbeing, please get in touch with our team.